Friday, November 20, 2009

A Blessing

Wonderful Freja's Mommy's posted this Blessing the other day. Wanted to share with my followers.

A Blessing

Blessed sister, beautiful one
with broken wings.
Your journey is a difficult one
that no mother should have to endure.
Your path is steep, rocky and slippery
and your tender heart is in need of gentle healing.

Breathe deeply and know that you are loved.
You are not alone,
though at times, you will feel like a
desolate island of grief
untouchable
distant.
Close your eyes.
Seek the wisdom of women who have walked this well-worn path before you,
before,
and before,
and before you yourself were born.
These beautiful ones
with eyes like yours
have shared your pain, and
weathered the storms of loss.

You are not alone (breathe in)
You will go on (breathe out)
Your wings will mend (breathe in)
You are loved (breathe out)

~ Mary Burgess
Author, Mending Invisible Wings, a healing journal for mothers following the loss of their baby through late-term miscarriage, stillbirth, or neonatal death.

8 comments:

Bree said...

That is a beautiful poem. Thank goodness for the Internet so that we don't have to walk this road alone. :)

The Blue Sparrow said...

Very touching, thanks for posting! *HUGS*

margaret said...

Wonderful Lea. Very touching, although a sad, stark reality to fully grasp that this has been happening to mothers since the beginning of time. It shouldn't. It's just so sad, and this prayer/poem is beautiful. Thanking you...

lost--for--words said...

This poem has become my mantra... It somehow puts things in perspective and opens my eyes to the fact that I am not suffering through this alone when I am feeling my weakest. That we will take turns holding eachother up when it's just too painful to stand on our own two feet. Thank you for posting this and sharing it with other mamas, so maybe they can experience the comfort these words have brought me (((hugs)))

Karen said...

Oh, so beautiful Lea. The part that says:

"the wisdom of women who have walked this well-worn path before you,
before,
and before,
and before you yourself were born"

in particular struck me. It's so true. And so very sad, but comforting as well.

Lisette said...

Thank you for sharing this poem, it is very touching. It is sad that so many of us have to walk this path in life but without all this support from the many wonderful women (thanks to the internet)it would be that much more difficult. Sending hugs your way!

Beth said...

Thank you for posting this blessing! I put it on my blog also. I hope that is alright. I visit your blog often. I lost my daughter in February to congenital diaphragmatic hernia. I'll be having another baby this February. You are hope for me. I wish you well in rest of your pregnancy with baby girl!
In tears and heartache,
Beth
houselogfamily.blogspot.com

Beth said...

hi... I just wanted you to know, I honored your baby on my page.. it's called "Kathlyn's Angels on the Block." I have so many names to do, but as soon as I saw the ladybug block, I thought of you.

Post a Comment