Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rainbows



Rainbows is an international, not-for-profit organization that fosters emotional healing among children grieving a loss from a life-altering crisis.

My oldest son's teacher recommended this program through his school just after we lost Nicholas. He would meet with a facilitator and other children experiencing crisis once a week and talk about their feelings, do crafts and just hang out. Evan was always very excited about attending these groups and for that, I was thankful.

Yesterday, the Rainbows Group had a "Celebrate Me" day at school and invited parents to attend. I went and was appreciative of what I saw. Although the group was big, there was a definite sense of calm and happiness among the children. An understanding that everyone there was there because they were experiencing scary feelings or events in their lives that were somewhat similar. They were understood. They were not alone.

What an amazing concept. The work that the Rainbows Organization does to assist children through tragic times is amazing. Often, a different venue, a different outlet, is what these children need in order to feel comfortable sharing their feelings. I am thankful that we were pointed in this direction for Evan. I support this organization wholeheartedly.

7 comments:

Kate said...

What a wonderful program! I am glad your son is able to benefit from the organization. Also...thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I left a message with my ob and the counselor isn't open until 10, so I am going to give her a call. Thank yo Lea. You are so sweet.

Courtney said...

What an amazing program indeed. So glad it is benefiting you guys.

*hugs*

Bluebird said...

Oh wow! I'm so glad to know that such an organization exists and that Evan has been able to benefit from it. I often think of the older siblings - in what a strange situation they must find themselves.

Lindsay said...

I wish L.O.'s school had something like that, our town even. Her teacher cut her off last week when she tried to tell her about the Names in the sand site, and what Carly does...wow, I was fuming.
I'm glad your son is getting some much needed support.
Love Linds

Fireflyforever said...

I'm so pleased to hear about this. It is so important that our baby's siblings don't get overlooked.

Never forgetting Gregory said...

That sounds incredible. I'm glad your little one gets to have that outlet, and I'm sure it has really helped him.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you and your boys that they have an outlet like this. There is a author that I like Alan Wolfelt who did a wonderful book for parent's grieving and I noticed he has a book for children too. It`s called ``Healing Your Grieving Heart for Kids: 100 Practical Ideas``. I`m sure you can get it at the local library. ((Hugs))

Post a Comment